Flowing rivers, fairy-tale castles & enchanting towns…
The department of the Dordogne in the north of Aquitaine is named after the great Dordogne River which runs through this landscape of rich, green countryside, ancient monuments and stunning, medieval towns. Famous for its gastronomic specialities, the Dordogne is sometimes referred to as ‘le Perigord’, the area around the departmental capital of Périgueux, and there are some fabulous local markets to explore.
This department is also famous for its castles - there are said to be over 1,000 of them - and the numerous prehistoric caves and settlements along the Vézère Valley. The Dordogne abounds with beautiful bastide towns, hill-top villages and villages hugging the river including Le Bugue, Domme, Issigeac, La Roque-Gageac, Brantome, Saint-Jean-de-Cole and Monpazier, the latter listed as one of the ‘most beautiful villages in France’.
• Visit the ‘medieval capital of the Dordogne’, Sarlat-le-Canada, and its legendary charming street market
• Visit some of the châteaux of the Dordogne in spectacular settings with fascinating histories including Château de Beynac, Château de Biron, Château de Jumilhac, Château de Montfort, Château de Puyguilhem and many more
• Take a canoe trip on the Dordogne River and enjoy walking and cycling in the gently rolling valleys
• Spend time at the Musée National de Préhistoire, Les Eyzies, housing an archaeological collection tracing 400 thousand years of human life, and visit the pretty village of Montignac near the famous Lascaux caves
• Enjoy a feast of local specialities including foie gras and truffles in one of the many fine restaurants in the Dordogne washed down with the red wines of Bergerac
Canoeing • Climbing • Rafting • Kayaking • Climbing • Horse riding • Paragliding • Bird-watching • Boating on Canals • Fishing • Golf courses • Tennis • Hunting • Petanque • Cycling • Hiking
Truffle Markets: Brântome - Friday (Dec - Feb), Sarlat - Saturday (Dec - Feb)
Medieval Markets: Excideuil - on weekend closest to 14th July
Foie Gras Markets: Périgeaux - Wednesday & Saturday (mid Nov - end of March), Ribérac (Nov- March), Sarlat - Saturday (Dec - Feb)
Chestnut Market: Villefranche-du-Périgord - Saturday (mid Sept - Nov)
Flea Market: Bergerac - Sunday (1st of the month)
Local Markets in Dordogne: Lanouaille on Tuesday (2nd & 4th of the month) & Saturday, Bergerac on every day of the week, Montignac on Wednesday & Saturday, Sarlat on Wednesday, Les Eyzies on Monday (Apr - Oct), Lalinde & Monpazier on Thursday.