Family Fun, Surfing, Spas…
The southern part of Aquitaine is made up of two distinct areas, the departments of Les Landes and the Pyrénées Atlantiques, the latter home to the elegant departmental capital Pau, and the enticing beach resorts of the west coast including Biarritz. Vibrant Biarritz offers the visitor a tantalising mix of different architectural styles, renowned thermal Spas, fabulous surfing and golf opportunities, and dazzling golden sandy beaches.
This is a cosmopolitan town which is extraordinarily stylish and embraces three cultures – French, Basque and Spanish. This is a fabulous coastal holiday destination, with a great deal to see and do including a visit to the Russian Orthodox Church with its famous blue dome, a look around the Museum of Chocolate, followed by an early evening aperitif at the Hotel du Palais, once the summer mansion of Empress Eugenie.
• Visit the coastal town of St Jean de la Luz, and head further inland to visit Bayonne, Pau, Oloron-Sainte-Marie and Sauveterre-de-Bearn which are all well worth exploring
• Enjoy an early morning fishing expedition or watch a game of pelota, unique to the Basque region
• Take a cruise along the coast to Fontarrabie in Spain before dining in one of the many elegant restaurants in Biarritz offering delicious sea-food
• Indulge at one of the Spas for which Biarritz is so famous, many known for their Thalasso treatments
• Take a walk along Biarritz’s sandy Grande Plage from Point St Martin to Pointe Atalaye and follow the small walkway to the Rocher de la Vierge, the symbol of the city